Two of the leading academic institutions in their respective countries, Faculty of Liberal Arts Mahidol University and Graduate School of Language and Culture, Osaka University are joining forces to offer students a new double degree program in 2019.
The new program will enable students from the two institutions to pursue studies in Applied Linguistics and Japanese Studies in order to receive both a Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics from Mahidol University and Master of Arts in Japanese Studies from Osaka University.
Why a Double Degree Program?
- Earn two degrees from two of the leading academic institutions in Asia.
- Obtain a degree from Osaka University with no extra tuition fee.
- Study in an international environment that will widen your career path and boost your skills
- Enjoy and experience living in a foreign country, Osaka Japan, the second biggest city a large port city and commercial center in Japan.
About this degree
The total period of the Double Degree Program is at least 3 academic years (in general 6 semesters).
Two years at Mahidol, this programme will provide students with insight into applied linguistics and language education from global, bilingual, cognitive, discourse, and socio-cultural perspectives. It will also develop students’ capacity to analyse, evaluate and synthesise primary and secondary sources as well as helping them to design research. And one year at Osaka University, Osaka University offers courses in such various fields as Japanese Buddhism, Japanese Economics, Japanese Intellectual History, Japanese History, as well as Japanese Literature, Japanese Language Pedagogy and Japanese Linguistics.
Year 2019 Model
Program Structure at Mahidol University
- Program structure at Mahidol University (PDF)
- Program structure at Osaka University (PDF)
- Holding a bachelor’s degree in any field of study, or be a student in the final semester with a good academic record
- Having a composite GPA over 2.50 or equivalent;
- Demonstrating English Proficiency by having a TOEFL score of at least 500 (paper-based), an IELTS score of at least 5.5, or equivalent; or passing the English Proficiency Examination arranged by the Faculty of Graduate Studies;
- Passing the program written examination
- Japanese proficiency is satisfactory.
- Now – 17 May, 2019
Written Examination Date
- 16 February 2019 (1st application)
- 1 June 2019 (2nd application)
- 4-6 March, 2019 (1st application)
- 17-19 June, 2019 (2nd application)
How do I apply?
Apply online through CLICK HERE
More information contact
Telephone: +66-2441-4401 ext.1732
Course fees and cost
The selected Double Degree Program student will only pay the tuition fee for Mahidol University. The tuition fee (fees for application, admission and tuition fee) at Osaka University will be funded by Osaka University
* Double Degree Program student will have to pay fee to hold the student status for a year at Osaka University (Thai student: 11,900 Bath, International student: 15,400 Baht).
** Fee may be subject to change without notice.
Scholarships and funding
- Tuition fee at Osaka University will be exempted.
- For the living expense, students might be able to get funding from JASSO. Contact to find out more about scholarships and funding: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic staffs at Mahidol University
Name Education Expertise/Interests Contact Assoc. Prof. Songsri Soranastaporn PhD (Ed. Admin and Foundations) Illinois State University, USA Language Program Administration; Technology in Language Teaching; Games and Simulations email@example.com Asst. Prof. Wiwat Puntai PhD (Information Studies) University of Maryland, USA TEFL; Language Assessment firstname.lastname@example.org Dr. Kornsiri Boonyaprakob PhD (Curriculum and Instruction)North Carolina State University, USA Teacher development; Autonomous learning; Learner development; email@example.com Dr. Chantarath Hongboontri PhD (Applied Linguistics)University of Queensland, Australia Sociology of Education; Teacher Beliefs; Cultural Organization; Student Voice; Pedagogy; firstname.lastname@example.org Dr. Natthapong Chanyoo PhD (Instruction and Learning)University of Pittsburgh, USA Functional Linguistics; Language and Mind; TEFL email@example.com Dr. Suthathip Thirakunkovit PhD (Second Language Education)Purdue University, USA Language Testing and Course Evaluation firstname.lastname@example.org Dr. Tanporn Trakantalerngsak PhD (Japanese Studies)Osaka University, Japan Japanese Phonetics and SLA email@example.com
Please visit Graduate School of Language and culture to find out more information about Osaka Univerity
Living and estimated cost in Osaka
Find out more information about Osaka: OSAKA INFO